Monday, October 22, 2001

And my car acting up wasn't the worse thing that happened to me yesterday. I got up at 6:30 to be out in the field at 7:00 to chop. Had a little bit of a hard time staying awake at about 8:00, but that passed. Got tired again around noon, and said I wanted to go home. But no, Dad wanted the chopper going as long as possible. So I keep going. But I didn't have to be out there much longer. At about 12:30 it all of a sudden got very loud in the tractor. My first thought was that something seriously broke on the chopper. I turn around, and don't see anything right away, but as I'm turning my head back to the front, I see glass everywhere. A rock (we presume) had been shot up from the chopper and completely shattered the rear window. Scared the shit out of me. I stopped the tractor, and I was just shaking. I wait for myself to calm down slightly, then I call for someone to come out there. While waiting for Ryan to come out to the field, I look around and I start to think of what could have happened. I thought of how easily I could have been cut by all that flying glass. I didn't even get a single scratch. Then of course I think of what could have happened if the rock hadn't flown back into the field. Like if the rock had hit me in the head, getting knocked unconscious (or worse) and the tractor still going.